Wednesday 1 December 2010

Fancy a Bit of Tongue, Love?

"If there is a god, why did he make his followers so damn stupid?"

This is a lovely quote from message 2229 in the thread on a terrific posting I've just discovered on what is no doubt a great blog I've also just discovered (hey, you have to start somewhere, right?).

So as I share with you my marvellous voyage of discovery of the wonders and idiocies of this world, I thought I would throw that one in for your delectation.

But what I really wanted to pass on was something told to me by The Mole earlier. She'd just finished talking to a rather garulous old friend who she said could talk the hind legs off you know what.

Anyway, seems she's been ill and is going into hospital to have her eyes sorted out. Yuk. That would make me pretty damned queezy, and apparently that's the effect it's having on her too. But it's ok.

IT'S OK.

She's actually not that bothered about her bad health. And do you know why?

Because this normally rational  and even sane woman is protected by a little piece of cloth that she carries around with her in a special little sack.

And what's so special about this little piece of cloth? Ah well. It's been dragged, ever so lightly, over the dried and preserved tongue of someone known today as Saint Anthony, who died many centuries ago.

A dried tongue. I ask you.

Well here it is, folks. After an extensive search I've found what is supposed to be said tongue, and what a gross, disgusting object it is. Still, let's not let appearances put us off, so let's all bow down to it and put it in a gold case where the heart should be, and 'venerate' and 'adore' and, oh yes, 'worship' it, like the bible says we shouldn't:
Exodus 20
"You shall not make for yourself a graven image, or any likeness of anything that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth; You shall not bow down to them or serve them; for I the LORD your God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children to the third and the fourth generation of those who hate me." ~ God, 330 CE
Oops. Well that's a bit of a bugger then, isn't it. Be cause it looks to me that there be a whole lotta veneratin' and adorin' goin' on down at the Catholics place tonite...

Oh well, on the blog I stole that from there was a comment suggesting that to worship a dead tongue was pretty sick. Luckily, God's words, indeed tongue, can be interpreted in many ways, as a reply proved, from a gentleman who himself had gone through a miraculous transformation just recently:
"St. Anthony’s tongue was found “incorrupt” after his body was exhumed – it was a great sign of the marvelous preaching he exhibited during his life – There is no idolatry going on, as it is simply the glorying in the works of Christ accomplished through the members of His Body – and a marvelling in a true miracle.
I used to be an Evangelical Protestant, but God eventually led me to the Catholic Church, where I have grown in deeper intimacy and union with Our Lord, through the Holy Eucharist – the very Body and Blood of Jesus. I am telling my conversion story here: http:\\catholics..." etc. etc.
You see? It's all been a big, silly old misunderstanding. Phew! Glad we got that one cleared up then. (Another one for the loony bin.) P.S. Is it just me, or does the way they've arranged the 'relic' look just a teeny weeny bit like a, well, y'know... v*g*n*? Just too weird for words, these guys...

See you in the gene pool
FrabulousFrog

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...